Sunday, April 1, 2012

Whole30 challenge, day 1 -- no joke!!

april fools!! not my favorite "holiday" but other people seem to have fun with it.

this was the first day of my "whole30 challenge". i got up at 6:00 am and exercised with my husband. i first did some stretching exercises, than began lifting some light weights. with a 5 lb. dumbbell in each hand, i did 3 reps of 10 bicep curls on each arm. i then did 3 reps of 10 presses over my head while holding a 20 lb. dumbbell with both hands. i then did 2 reps of 10 of holding the 5 lb. dumbbells in each hand, and while laying on my back and my arms straight out at my sides, bringing both arms together above my head. then i did some sit ups. NOT!! sit ups kicked my butt. i had to lay on the floor, my knees bent, with my toes tucked under the edge of the couch, and i still couldn't even do one sit up. i finally had to reach up and grab the backs of my legs and pull myself up. even then i could only do 8 pseudo sit ups, and i was huffing and puffing with the effort. after that i did a little run through the house -- up 9 stairs from the family room to the upstairs, through the kitchen, around the dining room table and back down the stairs to the family room. i did this 10 times. finally, i laid down on the floor on my side and did 10 one-armed push ups with each arm. all of this took about 40 minutes. now it was time for my 2.5 mile walk with my husband. i pushed myself a little harder than usual on this walk, which made my husband happy. our walk took about 40 minutes, which is about 3 minutes off our normal time. yay us!! later in the day, after my nap :o) i took a short 3 mile bike ride with my son.

shown below is my food intake for the day. for the next 30 days, i plan on keeping my calorie count at 1600 calories or less. i started out with a big breakfast of an omelette made with 2 jumbo eggs and one egg white, 1/4 cup homemade crumbled breakfast sausage, and some diced onions and bell peppers. i cooked it in a combination of ghee (clarified butter -- all the milk solids are removed so it is legal), and a little olive oil. it was yummy! for lunch i had one aidells smoked chicken and apple sausage (purchased from costco, made without sugar or preservatives -- legal!!) some sweet potato fries baked in the oven and seasoned with salt, pepper, basil and a bit of chili powder, some cut up veggies and an orange. for dinner i had 4 oz of awesome grilled flat iron steak (cooked by my hubby and it was fantastic!!) and a large apple. i truly was not hungry all day, and only ate the steak because i knew i needed more protein. my total calories was under 1400 for the day. below i posted a screen shot of my calorie count from www.fitday.com . my protein count came to 23% of my total calories, my carbs came to 28% and my fat came to 49%. i fell way below my usual intake of fiber, with taking in only 13.5 grams. i am usually able to take in a minimum of 20 - 25 grams of fiber per day. i just need to eat some more veggies! i was also low on my water intake. that has always been a struggle for me. anyway, here is my first day, such as it is. on to tomorrow!!



No comments:

Post a Comment