with the superbowl coming up, we both gave ourselves permission to indulge a little. i was very careful though to not have any wheat, and i made a batch of paleo brownies and a paleo/vegan broccoli salad.
i will post the brownie recipe in a future post, but here is the recipe for the broccoli salad. i was surprised at how good it is when i had it for the first time. it looks like it has a mayonnaise based dressing, and i don't really like mayo that much. when i took my first bite, i was shocked that it didn't taste like mayo at all. it was rather sweet, and when i asked the person who made it what was in it, she said the dressing was made from soaked and pureed cashews! i will give the ingredients as they are written in the recipe, and then i will add notes about how i have changed it a bit.
Broccoli Raisin Sunflower Seed Salad
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews, soaked in water for at least 2 hours, up to overnight
- juice from 1 1/2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 shallot (2 tablespoons chopped)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- pinch sea salt
- 6 cups raw, chopped broccoli
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
combine until all ingredients are well coated. Serve cold or at room temperature.
- i used the juice of only 1 lemon. my preference.
- instead of water, i substituted pineapple juice it gives a bit more sweetness and goes really well with the flavors of the salad.
- i did not use chopped shallots or garlic. again, my personal preference. the chopped red onion in the salad itself is enough onion flavor for my family and i.
- i don't use agave. i use either coconut nectar or honey. if you use honey, this salad will not be vegan.
- i use dried, unsweetened cranberries instead of raisins. really, really good!
- i substituted raw, unsalted pepitas (pumpkin seeds) for the sunflower seeds. again, i just like it that way!
- you can chop the broccoli and the red onion in the food processor to make it easier. i buy trader joe's raw, organic broccoli florets. don't use broccoli that has been frozen and thawed.
- i chop my broccoli quite a bit smaller than shown in the photo above; i just didn't have another picture to show. her recipe is very similar to this one, however.